Saturday, February 28, 2009

ladybug

Since I moved into this apartment I have been seeing tons of ladybugs.  I don't mind them, they don't get in the way, but I just don't understand how they survive in my apartment with nothing to eat.  I have no plants... I mean, I have some cactuses, but I just got those recently and ladybugs have been dwelling in my place since I first moved in.  

At one point there were a bunch of them. Maybe 10 in my room if I counted.  Most of them died probably gruesomely... being played with to death by the cats and also slowly burning to death on the light fixture.  I hadn't seen many this winter, but all of a sudden they're back.  Not in large numbers, but there are a few.  I think they're suicidal though.  Yesterday one flew into the glass around the light in my room and I didn't want it to die so I turned the light off.  And today I was in the shower and one landed on my cheek and scared me and I think I threw it against the shower curtain and it got really wet.  Of course, being the weirdo I am, I scooped it up and (leaving the shower on, mind you)  got out of the shower and tried to dry it off with some toilet paper.  It's wings were soaked but I tried to make sure it's face (face?) wasn't covered with water.  I left it on the counter on the toilet paper and thought it might dry out a bit.  I don't know if it's dead at this point.  It hasn't moved, but ladybugs tend to sit in one spot for a long time. When I poke it it's legs move.  So, I guess I'll see if it's still alive tomorrow.  Poor ladybug.

Here are some fun facts about ladybugs:


-In Sweden, folks believe that if a ladybug lands on a young maiden's hand, she will soon be getting married.
-If you find a ladybug in your house, count the number of spots and that is how many dollars you will soon receive.
-In England, finding a ladybug means that you will have a good harvest.
-In France, if you are sick and a ladybug lands on you, when it flies away, it will take the sickness with it.
-If a ladybug has more than seven spots, then there will be a famine. If it has less than seven, then there will be a good harvest.
-At one time, doctors would mash up ladybugs and put them in a cavity to cure a toothache.
-Some people believe that the number of spots on a ladybug indicates how many children you will have.
-If you find a ladybug in your house in the winter you will have good luck.


This is all bullshit, of course.  I haven't had any good luck since moving in.  I guess I haven't had bad luck either.  I'm not sure I even believe in luck.  I do believe in ladybugs though.  We're pals.


No comments: